Neither of us slept well, I was worried we would not get a wake up call, or not hear the alarm or have problems with our tickets at the airport...a million thoughts ran through our minds.
Both the wake up call and alarm came at 6 am, what was I worrying about. We packed everything up and off to the airport we went.
Our cabbie dropped us off at the terminal and we went to check in. That is when the fun started. Our travel agent gave us paper tickets, like the old days. The tickets were issued by Air India but we were flying Singapore Air. First we went to Air India, they sent us to Singapore Airlineswho sent us back to India who sent us back to Singapore......by this time I was a nervous wreck and we only had 1/2 hour until our flight closed. Finally a supervisor from Singapore Airlines came to Air India with us and they were able to get a proper ticket issued. Needless to say, it is a good thing I go to the hairdresser on Tuesday as I grew a few hundred grey hairs during this exercise.
Oh, did I mention that the cabbie dropped us off at the wrong terminal so after all of this we had to catch a sky train to a different terminal.......with an escort from Singapore Airlines. When we got there the girl told us that there were not 2 seats together on the flight. I think the look on my face scared her as there was no way I was flying for over 18 hours without Kevin beside me. She did another check and found 2 seats together in row 55. She seemed reluctant as she said it was row 55 of 56 but I smiled and said "That's great, we are close to the washroom and the beverage cart, and if the plane goes down, we are the last ones to die". Apparently you shouldn't mention planes going down in an airport....who knew. We barely had time to go to the bathroom before we were on our 18.5 hour flight to San Francisco.
Our plane was huge, 56 rows with 9 seats across. We tried to upgrade to Business Class but when we found out it would be almost 5000.00 more each we figured we would go sit with the rest of the peeps. The meanest thing the airlines do is make you walk past all those lucky people in first class.....just mean. There must have been a lot of no shows as the plane was not full at all. The seats were nice and roomy and the tv screens were about 15 inches and had gaming controls. It was quite lovely. The funniest part of the flight is when they gave us a menu to choose our meals....all 4 of them. The food was awesome and the service was amazing. When we got to Seoul we got off the plane for about 45 minutes and then off to San Fran. When we got back on the plane it was even more empty so Kevin and I each had our own bank of 3 seats and were able to stretch out to sleep. Think I slept for about 3 hours but Kevin couldn't sleep. I watched 4 movies.....The Help was a great movie, I recommend it to everyone.
We arrived in San Fran at noon on Thursday......funny since we left Singapore at 9:30 am on Thursday. We were both a bit tired but knew we had to keep moving. Surprisingly the 18 hour flight was not that bad. We checked into the hotel and then headed to Alcatraz for a night tour. Very cool...and a bit creepy. The weather was beautiful so we could see for miles around the Island. Normally it is quite foggy this time of the year so we were very lucky. We were at Alcatraz for about 2 hours and then headed back to land. We were exhausted and hungry so headed back to the hotel for a bite to eat. We looked at the menu at the hotel and nothing interested us so we started walking. We thought we could watch the baseball game and have some pub food.....no luck, we ended up at 7-11 microwaving a burger and falling asleep before the game was over. Jet lags a bitch.
Our sleep was awful, we were both wide awake at 2 am because of the time change but that didn't stop us from getting on the Hop and Stop bus to explore San Francisco. We were a bit foolish and dressed in shorts and flip flops and went to the top of the open air bus. We froze our 10 little piggies for a couple of hours but then the temps rose and we finally warmed up. The bus tour was about 2 1/2 hours and we saw all the highlights of the city. We went across the Golden Gate bridge and again the weather was amazing with no fog...we were very lucky. After the bus ride we went to Pier 39 and wandered around the pier catching all the sites. The sea lions hang out on the pier and they are so cute.....and loud. We headed ton the cable cars to experience the topsy turvy roads of San Fran. We both hung from the side of the car so had a lot of fun.
Game 7 of themselves World Series was at four. We got back tom the hotel to catch a couple of innings and then head to dinner.....but we both both fell asleep so Kevin went to Subway and grabbed us some dinner. I must admit, I do not remember eating, I was sleeping when he went and fell back asleep as soon as he got home and handed me the sub.
Saturday morning we headed out to Chinatown before heading to the airport. Unfortunately most everything was closed but we still got the feel the area. San Francisco is an amazing place and we will definately go back when we are not suffering from jet lag.
Our amazing journey is over, we had the time of our lives and I am so fortunate to have been able to experience this adventure with the love of my life. I could not imagine experiencing it without him.
I have to apologize for any spelling or grammatical in the blog. I was typing on my IPad and generally did not have time to proofread everything before posting it as my Internet access was less than savory. The Ipad likes to change words on me.....hopefully you could figure out what I was trying to say.
We are back home now. Big thanks to my family trying to keep us awake last night....I think the jet lag is almost done.....15 hour difference reeks havoc on a body.
I hope you all enjoyed our adventure and I hope to see many of you soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment